Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Service Is Good.

The winding road to mogul-dom can lead to a me-centric outlook. I'll use myself as an example (because I know this absolutely does not apply to YOU).

At the moment, 90% of my life is spent in "Judyland."


Never heard of it? Of course you haven't. It's not about you.

It's about me. ME!

The majority of my thoughts and actions are related solely to how I'm going to get from A to B to Z on my life checklist.

That is all.

In my defense, I am not married. I do not have children or pets. So, no one is being neglected.

Now, before you dismiss me, let me share what I do with the remaining 10%.

I give.

For example, every other month I donate a crocheted lap blanket (handmade by me) to a local hospice for terminally ill adults and children. The program - known as CAPS - is supported by the South Bay Auxiliary, of which I am a member.

The latest.

I used the spider stitch.
Pattern came from a magazine.


It doesn't cost me anything but my time, which I happily give. They provide the yarn. I get creative. (Bonus: I can do it while watching the Housewives!)

Photo right-clicked from
www.lionbrand.com

Presentation is important. Considering the circumstances of my recipients, my first priority is "pretty." Then "happy." I want to use my hands to bring joy to what remains of their life.

So, I search for interesting patterns. Typically, I end up on www.lionbrand.com.

The Lion Brand Store in New York City.
When I see them this week at CHA, I intend
to beg them to open a store in Los Angeles.

Once I've decided on a pattern, I think color.

Bright. Happy.

I challenge myself not to make the same blanket twice.


It's a commitment that doesn't feel like one!

On the third Wednesday of the month (every other month for me due to my schedule), the blankets are turned in. Beach Cities Health District (our headquarters) provides us with a nice catered lunch and all of us ladies swap stitches and compliments, share neighborly news (not gossip!), and generally enjoy each other's company.

I donate my time for other Auxiliary activities, as well as outside projects such as last year's coat and toy drive at my j-o-b.

This was for the coat drive.
I live in So. California. I don't own a coat.
So, I made a hat & scarf set instead.

Hat close-up.

I made four of these dolls in different colors.
It's a great way to recycle fabric scraps.

Giving is good. I like it. Will keep doing it. And recommend you try it.

Plus, it let's me escape (temporarily) from Judyland.


------------------
Find VirtueRadioNetwork.com

1 comment:

beachvintage.com said...

That is such a sweet doll. You are a talented lady. Thanks for dropping by Beach Vintage.